This Is the Stuff...

Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 by Morris in
0

We, humans, live in a world where frustrations constantly come from family, friends, being cut off on the road, and losing items (such as keys or a cell phone). And it is easy to stay in a place of being angry, unforgiving and create an excuse of not maturing in life. I love when I am able to come across a Christian artist, who has been able to capture the Gospel in their music, seamlessly paralleled with a contemporary message. Previously, one artist by the name of Audrey Assad achieved this for me, and now I have stumbled upon another female artist, Francesca Battistelli, who has done it as well.

In her sophomore project entitled Hundred More Years, her first single is “This is the Stuff.” With an upbeat acoustic tempo, that one can’t help but smile while listening; the song takes the listener along the ride of a persons life who has either lost keys, been hit with a case of road rage, and rushing etc. But the spin that she puts in the lyrics, is how these tests, and situations are the things that God uses to mature us. With some some artists they stop there, and forget to enlighten the listener on what God produces through these occurrences. In my opinion, missing that extra explanation, and being unnecessarily extra with words, can make or break a song.

Francesca’s song made it in my book. She goes on to encourage her listeners that God uses frustrations to: (Song Lyrics)

To break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations
I've got a new appreciation


And after giving that explanation, the hook comes back in and says: (Song Lyrics)

This is the stuff that drives me crazy.
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately.
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed


Once the listener is taken down frustration lane, they are reminded that they are blessed, and through assumption are to continue to be grateful for what God has done in their life. And whether you find yourself in the pit or on the mountaintop, you can still be encouraged that God is with you and maturing you through the comings of life.



The Forward Thinker,

~Morris

0 comments: