The Painted Canvas of a Christian...

Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 by Morris in
0


Those who have been called to the raising up of the next generation have begun to stretch the definition of what it means to evangelize and offer an alternative to just telling someone about the good news of Jesus Christ. A week ago from this past Monday, I found myself outside the Student Union at the University of Central Florida for a campus club community fair. There were many campus organizations present but the highlight was a group of B-Boys who were break dancing, and live DJ Music that was taking place in the midst of the days festivities. I went out to be apart of UCF’s Chi Alpha & Scott Howe’s Evoke Ministry’s display called Creative Evangelism. It was definitely a breath of fresh air, and it put the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the midst of people that wouldn’t get out to a Sunday or Wednesday night service.

Scott Howe, Evoke Ministries Founder who once lived as an Atheist, describes what took place that day and on other times on campus, as “preaching the gospel & praying for the sick through music, dance, art and one on one (evokeministries).” The preaching, which didn’t fit the bill of what people would think, definitely captured the attention of everyone. If you are interested in finding out more about that days festivities and evoke visit evokeministries.com.

What I wanted to focus on in this blog post is the art portion of evoke’s ministry. As part of evokes creative evangelism they also paint to provoke opportunities to share their faith. In the midst of the UCF event that I attended, there was a table of an innumerable amount of small 4’’ X 4’’ square blocks that were painted upon, each having its own story to tell. These blocks are apart of a movement that evoke has started called evoke 365. In the very own words of evoke365 they describe themselves as

“a group of artists of various skill levels, committed to create 1 painting, every day for 1 year. The purpose of the endeavor is multifaceted. To produce works of art and multiple interactive art shows that engage the community in discussions of faith and the living God; To show the visual journey a year has on creativity, commitment, the Spiritual walk, and relationships; To strengthen artists within the community of believers to be bold in their creativity and confession of faith; Establish a new outlook on Christian modern art through its commonality of organic visual honesty while trusting God throughout the journey of the project.”


I was blown away at what I saw, and then what I found out what they do in other areas of Orlando, I was simply floored. I am encouraged to see people find their own creative way in sharing who God is, and how they interact with Him. I can go further on my experience but I would like to share some 3 paintings that stood out in their inventory.


1) Walking with the Holy Spirit ☺- this is such a child-like way of showing an intrinsic principle of walking the walk of Faith.


2) Jesus being the thing that we throw at those that come against us…I would assume this has been inspired from the story of David & Goliath.


3) Pandora's Box (Television) and the spirits that latch on to you from watching it.

All three of these pictures offer you a creative perspective on things the bible teaches believers. As a creative person myself, I enjoy just the different perspectives that are shared with the sharing of the art of evoke 365. I will definitely be present at as many 365 events as possible.

I pray this has been something interesting to read, and as usual I am set out to break the stigma of what it means to live for Christ and one’s art is definitely a fresh way to do so. Fusion is not just music but a lifestyle. More info on evoke 365 at evoke365.com.

Living my Life in Him,

~Morris

0 comments: